Saturday, January 6, 2007

Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Youth

- originally posted 7-29-06

When I was fifteen I had a good friend named James who was twenty-five. James was the epitome of cool: he was a single GI who lived on his own, listened to the kind of music he wanted to listen to, and after leading a life of sin had come to Christ. James took the time to befriend me and hang out with me and for the 2 years that he was there, we were good friends.

I remember thinking that at twenty-five, how old James was. He was a man. Sure, his room was still messy and, looking back on it, his life was in shambles, but I remember looking up to him because he was an adult...yet still cool.

Now, I'm about the age that James was when I admired him and I still feel like the 15 year old kid, admiring the adult. I feel so young. I don't feel like a grown up. I feel stunted. I feel like something is missing or perhaps was missed a long time ago.

I guess there's this checklist of things I've always thought you have to do in order to be an adult:

A) go to college (okay, I did that);

B) Graduate from college (crap!);

C) Get a good job after you graduate from college (Um, I chose to be a musician, does that count? Or maybe the 7 jobs I've had since college - do those count?);

D) Get married (Okay, I did this, but most of the time I feel so unsuccessful at being a good husband that I don't really count this as part of growing up);

E) have kids (please, God, not for a while).

Great, on the grown up scale, I'm 1 for 5.

I still like to play Madden on my Playstation2 (a step up from the Super Nintendo I had in high school). I still listen to Hootie and the Blowfish, as well as Ben Folds Five, Counting Crows, BoyzIIMen and Mariah Carey on a regular basis. I like to drink orange juice from the carton. I abhor household chores. I love my dogs, but hate the responsibility of taking care of the dogs. I like to take naps in the middle of the day, and if I had my way I would never go to work again....I mean I really like to sleep. In fact, I'm really wanting to open up a market for jobs that require you to sleep for 10 hours straight and get paid for it.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out when I'm going to grow up. I still find so much joy in the things that make me a kid, and at the same time find myself frustrated by the fact that I find joy in those things. I find myself still looking to people who are few years older than them and always looking to them as the "adults" in my life. I always think that by the time I get to where they are, I will feel like an adult. But every new year brings a disappointment with where I am in life.

And on top of it all, the thing that makes me feel most like a child is the thing that I love the most: music. I know that eventually I'll have to give up music, if I haven't found some success by some time in my life, but I still have this silly optimism and the ability to daydream while my head tells me that pessimism is the adult response to my current status in the music industry.

I'm James. My room is still messy. My life is in shambles. But somehow I'm happy. Sure there is some disappointment and there are some regrets, but I find myself happy with the fact that I still love life, I have a beautiful wife who loves me, I have a church of people who love me and I love in return; and I get to do something that makes me feel like a kid.So the question remains: when do we grow up? I hope it's not for a long time. But I'm sure most people in my life hope it's soon. But we can't all get what we want, can we? We'll see who wins out.

(I have a pretty good feeling it's going to be me)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always held the thought of eternal youth to be a pleasing idea.

Anonymous said...

Growing up is overrated anyway. I still buy Happy Meals for the toys and I am closing in on 40 quicker than I like to think about. Being in love with the Lord and enjoying life is what it is all about... ;)

I am rooting for you on AI... love your personality and since I am from SC, I know people who know people who might know people in your church who know you...

misushavoc

Anonymous said...

For what it's worth, I didn't feel like a grown up until I had kids (plural).

Unknown said...

Heh. Wanna hear something odd? I met an older guy called James when I was 17ish... he was really cool, a musician. He did the whole life of sin / conversion thing too. The difference, I guess, is that while he's had more life experience than me... I think I'm more mature, despite my sheltered life. I guess there aren't concrete rules for this sort of thing.

Adam Smith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

On growing up: go to TheRebelution.com and scroll through their sidebar. Read the articles on "Rise of the Kidult". Of course, then there's their "Myth of Adolescence" series. Most of what they right is good, actually.

Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

Dude. If you ever swing by Manhattan, KS we should hang. God bless and don't let LA get its dirty hands on you. I have no idea what your schedule is like, but if you've got time for church you might check out Mosaic. I think you'd jive there. Keep doing your thing.

Anonymous said...

I'm married, have a grown son, been at the same job for ten years and own my own home - still waiting to feel like an adult.

Good luck on AI, we're rooting for you.

Justin V. said...

I've wanted to blog on this issue myself, Chris, but it seemed like such a daunting task. I'm 25, and there's so much from my childhood that I've had to discard in the name of family and my return to Jesus. Well, most of it is frivolous, but what I miss the most is my friends. I made many, and they are great guys. But they don't know the Lord, and my responsibilities as a husband and father saps my time. I feel like I'm leaving them behind, and each passing day will makes it more difficult to reconnect.

And the music! I mean, I am fully aware that Led Zeppelin's and Beck's music are anything but holy...but what sound! Why does the devil have such great tunes? My hope is that I will one day hear the music of heaven, and the quality of music there will make "Bron-Yr-Aur" sound like Cher's "Believe."

Anonymous said...

I am 34, married and have a second kid on the way but I am a big kid myself. I think the key here, is to have faith like a child, accept our responsibilities that grow as we get older and do not shun accountability.

I think that is the biggest misstep I have seen from Christian musicians, heck, musicians in general, their desire for artistic freedom is tied to a desire to not have accountability in their life.

A life without accountability is a life that is always on the edge of a dangerous cliff. I say, love like a kid, even live like a kid but dont pitch your tent near that cliff...